I usually test my recipes a bunch of times before posting. Why? Because I need to know that they work -- of course. It is also helpful to learn ahead of time what to tweak and where substitutions will work and when they won't.
For these breakfast bars -- I kid you not -- I must have made them about 12- 15 times already before posting. And every time I ask what to change there simply aren't suggestions.
I made them at home for people who hear 'gluten free' and 'vegan' and shake in their boots and they were devoured. Then again -- just to test the recipe... Devoured. Before I could take a picture! I made them a couple more times -- delicious, soft, moist...perfection. Then I made two batches to bring to work to counteract all the heavy holiday treats. They were a HIT.
Then I made them for breakfast when my American BFF came for a surprise visit and even the gluten eating carnivores at the table loved them!
I just cannot think of any other selling point other than everyone loves these bars. Really. The moist bar is sweetened with coconut sugar which gives it a caramel flavour. The oats create a satisfying chewy texture and the walnuts and chocolate chips tie it all together.
It will take you from breakfast to afternoon snack to midnight snack all with the same level of satisfaction. Even for me -- who -- gasp -- is not a huge breakfast fan!
I know, it's crazy, but hear me out! I used to adore breakfast like nobodies business. But then I got hit with stomach issues and migraines and since then the mornings and food are just no bueno. But these are cute and compact and easily transportable and a wonderful addition to pretty much anything. Coffee? Hot Chocolate? AIR??!?! Yes. All those things.
So hopefully you try them out and love them just as much as myself and all my loved ones do!
Banana Walnut Breakfast BarsGluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan
Yields 16 servings
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 all purpose gluten free flour (I use this one)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs, 2 whole eggs or Egg Replacer (I used 2 teaspoons egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk
- Optional: top with additional coconut, chocolate chips and walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper strips that are long enough to be used as handles to pull the bars out of the pan, and set aside
- In a small bowl sift all dry ingredients (including the coconut sugar) for the batter and set aside
- In a large bowl combine all wet ingredients and blend thoroughly (you can microwave the peanut butter and coconut oil for 30 seconds to soften then add in vanilla, egg replacer and almond milk)
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients and stir until fully combined
- Scoop mixture into pan and spread as evenly as possible (mixture will be thick!) and if desired, top with additional chopped walnuts and chocolate chips
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Using the parchment, lift the bars out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting
- Cut into 16 pieces and serve
- Keep leftovers at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to a week
See? That's not so bad. It comes together quickly and in my oven usually takes just about 21 minutes. They keep well un-refrigerated too, which is nice. And they hold together well so you can travel with them!
If you try them PLEASE send me your photos or leave a comment saying how they turned out!
Happy Banana Breakfast Bar Baking!