I never understood having a type.
To me, if a dude was good looking he was just good looking and that was that. He was then rendered an object of affection at school, the gym, the bus, the grocery store...the everywhere.
But I think now that I am a bit older the whole scruffy hair thing is a total go. Oh and blue eyes and slightly disheveled dark hair is also a go.
Listen I am not discounting any other person...all I am saying is CAN WE JUST LOOK AT BRADLEY COOPER OK?
Between him and Jensen Ackles, I just die. I really do. My mom and I are OBSESSEDDD with Supernatural and Sam & Dean are real people in my life and Dean/Jensen is absolutely my husband to be met with competition ONLY and I mean ONLY by Bradley Cooper.
So when Castello offered me the chance to see the movie, eat some popcorn and watch the scrumptious Bradley Cooper on screen followed by using fancy BRIE to make a fancy new RECIPEEEE -- I said...Will Bradley marry me....
They didn't have an answer for that which is honestly really sad but I totes get it. What they did offer me was a package just like the one I got to GIVEAWAYYYYYY!!!!
So that includes: Recipe Cards, Castello Brie, Castello Olive Oil (so good!) and a Great Escape ticket for 2 admissions, 2 regular drinks and 1 regular popcorn!
YOU CAN USE THAT TO SEE BRADLEY COOPER!!!! Contest rules at the end of this post!
Most importantly though you can use the brie to make this:
I know Bradley Cooper, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki and myself, of course -- would all really enjoy dipping this beautifully baked savoury pastry in creamy melty brie cheese topped with baked apples, walnuts and cranberries.
They would all be like "omg this is so good marry me" and I would all be like "ahhh yeahhhh all those hours of netflix and chilling by myself with ice cream is finally paying offfff".
I can't imagine how that WOULDN'T be accurate.
I was not sure AT ALL what I would be making until 2 seconds before.
The piece de resistance, of course, this baked brie. Is it pie? Is it pastry? What's inside!?
But first a drizzle of honey (or maple syrup)...
AND THEN THE FUN SPILLETH OUT!
Slice, scoop, dip, smear. This can be eaten any way you want to and it tastes great ALL ways.
I sliced into it right out of the oven and tore tiny pieces off of the pastry and eagerly searched for the perfect bite. Pastry, brie, cranberry, apple, walnut.
This will complete your life. It will make Bradley Cooper your husband.
Gluten Free Baked Apple Pie Brie
Yields 1Medium Sized Baked Brie Appetizer
Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free
- 1 pie crust recipe plus 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into dough with the coconut oil
For the filling
- 2 large firm apples of choice (granny smith works well and so do Fuji!), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour (or corn starch)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 serving (125 grams) Castello Brie
- Optional garnish: 1/4 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons maple syrup/honey to drizzle over top
- Optional egg wash: 1 egg whisked with 2 teaspoons milk.
- Prepare pie crust according to directions and place in fridge to set for at least 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In the mean time, prepare the filling by chopping the apple into equal sized cubes and placing in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Add the flour, sugar, oil, spices, lemon juice, salt to the apple and toss until fully coated
- Remove your brie from the package and set aside!
- Once filling is complete and set off to the side roll out your pie crust on a piece of parchment paper in as even as a circle as possible, if desired you may cut off the scraps to use as a garnish-- It is crucial you do this on the parchment paper because this will help us roll up our pastry!
- In the middle of your rolled dough begin to arrange your brie and apple approximately 2 inches from the edge of the crust so you have enough room to fold over your dough. I placed the brie in the centre and arranged the apple around the brie and on top -- fully encasing it!
- Once complete, use the parchment paper to held you fold the pastry over the brie so that there is just slight overlapping between each fold. Too much will make the dough raw in some areas and overdone in others. You don't want too think of a pastry on top either so cut off the excess and store for later use!
- At this stage you may wish to apply pie crust cut-outs made from scrap dough and adhere them with the egg wash -- for good measure, use a fork to poke a few small holes around the top of the pastry.
- Once complete, apply the egg wash with a pastry brush. This helps with colour, helps our pieces of dough stick together and helps our sugar adhere
- If desired sprinkle with coarse raw sugar or coconut sugar.
- Bring your baking sheet to your work surface and slice the galette onto the baking sheet using the parchment paper to easily glide it on (this is why parchment paper makes our job easier! baking on parchment paper saves us the grief of trying to move our delicate pastry)
- Bake at 400 F for 15 - 20 minutes and then reduce temperature to 375 for the remaining 30 - 40 minutes of baking.
- Baking times vary so monitor your baked brie closely! Once the pastry becomes golden brown all over, remove from oven to cool completely. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and your cranberry/walnut mixture if desired.
- Store leftover in the fridge for 2-3 days -- reheat in the oven!
Now that the weather is cooler and Canada is trying to figure out what season it's going to settle on for the next little while -- I really crave something that has the perfect balance of creamy, sweet, flaky, warm and delicious.
AND THIS IS IT!
I think it's quite elegant, too. Served on a cake stand or just a large wooden tray full of fun dippings like cut up bread, fancy crackers, you name it!
I also think this recipe is really good if you like a beautiful presentation without being too finicky. Mine turned out a bit lopsided but...eh that's alright. It adds to the rustic charm, the warmth, and you not feeling too bad as you break it apart!
The honey (or maple) drizzle is 100% recommended. It helps hydrate the cranberries and gives you something more to dip the pastry into that allows the flavours to all be brought together.
Much enjoyed, very good, tasty yum...do recommend.
If you make this too early -- don't fret! Simply pop back into the oven before serving for about 10-15 minutes to allow the cheese to become melted again.
I am personally not looking forward to the holidays as much this year as in previous. I think being out of school is one of those reasons. The real word holidays simply aren't as much fun. And the hustle and bustle around campus was always uplifting and excited (in a very Hogwarts way) whereas in the REAL world the hustle and bustle is more like "OH MY GOD IS IS CHRISTMAS ARE THE STORES OPEN WHAT DO I DO WHERE AM I OH GOD".
Not as fun..
But if i can stay home for a few days with an entire baked brie and Sam and Dean Winchester with my mom and my couch....I think it may give me something to look forward to.
Isn't that last bite especially charming?!?! I thought so, too...
OKAY SO ARE YOU READY FOR THE DETAILS!?!?
******** CONTEST DETAILS ********
To win the gift package pictured above that includes: Recipe Cards, Castello Brie, Coupons for Castello Products, Castello Olive Oil (so good!) and a Great Escape ticket for 2 admissions, 2 regular drinks and 1 regular popcorn.
- Leave a comment on this post saying where you would like to enjoy this baked brie and with WHO!
- Leave a comment on the post on my Facebook page saying where you would like to enjoy this baked brie and with WHO and TAG SOMEONE who may want to enter, too!
- Leave a comment on the post on my Instagram saying where you would like to enjoy this baked brie and with WHO and TAG SOMEONE who you think should enter, too!
Contest has closed -- Thank you SO much for participating everyone!!!
That's it! The contest will run all weekend and I will pick a winner on Monday via random selection! I will also like to disclose I will need your address for the package to be mailed to you so please be sure you have parental consent/ are able to provide me with that information!
Thank you all for reading and being with me the past two years,