As I sit here typing this post I am looking at two giant containers of Halloween candy. You know how Halloween crazy I am. So of course I bought all the BEST candy and was super super excited to give it out to all the cute little kiddies. See excited face below:
Well ya know what. NO ONE CAME! We had maybe 10 kids total. And I had an entire other bowl of candy not pictured above.
I was crushed. I wonder why this is the case. We used to get a lot of trick or treaters! Whatever the reason is it made me really sad. Luckily with all the cakes I make I can use the chocolate BUT COME ON KIDDOS :'(
I decided to do this recipe because it's super quick, super easy and absolutely delicious. The protein powder isn't integral to the structure here, so I didn't list it as a necessary ingredient. I did add it in this batch, though. You know me ;)
Store bought bars are usually horrid for you. I am addicted to Quest bars and even I know my home made bars taste better and are more nutritious (sorry Quest).
So with these you don't have to worry about wasting time and it's something my whole family loves. Even the picky people.
Best of all you really can use whatever you would put in your favourite trail mix. That's the beauty of a trail mix!!!!!
I always make it myself because every store bought trail mix has like...ONE thing I don't like that ruins the experience.
So picture these as the best trail mix ever that is formed into a compact bar that tastes like chocolatey fudgey delciousness.
The only problem is...these will disappear far too quickly...so ...you may want to hide half of them at the back of the fridge in an opaque container.....labelled DANGER DO NOT OPEN.
Not like I'd ever do that....
Anyways here is the super simply recipe!
No Bake 5-Minute 'Trail Mix' Bar
Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan
Yields 10 -12 Granola Bars
- 1 heaping cup rice crisp cereal
- 1 heaping cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 - 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (depends how chocolatey you like it!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Lily's mini chips - they are sugar free!)
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries)
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup liquid sweetener of choice (I used maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
* Optional -- Add in a scoop of protein powder to your wet ingredients for some added protein! Also note because it's a 'trail mix' bar you can swap out the nuts, fruit and chocolate for equal amounts of your favourite trail mix fix-ins!
- In a large mixing bowl add your rice crisps, oats, chopped walnuts, coconut and dried fruit and mix together
- In a small saucepan add the nut butter, sweetener, cocoa and coconut oil, stirring occasionally until fully combined (you can also just microwave this in a microwave safe bowl for 25-30 second bursts until it's melted)
- Allow your sweetener mixture to cool before you pour it onto your dry ingredients so it doesn't melt your chocolate chips (yes I have done this!) -- Stir until your dry ingredients are fully coated with your nut butter/sweetener mixture.
- Press the mixture into a lined 8x8 pan firmly until it's even and pushed into all the corners and edges of the pan.
- Place in the fridge to set for a minimum of 1 hour
- Slice into 12 bars and serve or 10 larger ones like I did ;) -- Best kept cold in the refrigerator up to a week!
If you don't think these are delicious after you make them...then...I can't help you.
The texture is better than a granola bar, IMO, because they often have lots of sugary syrups to keep them together which makes them really syrupy -- or conversely some are far too crumbly.
These are chewy with bits of crunch from the nuts -- the best balance! But not syrupy and sticky at all.
The only time I had them crumble on me is when I didn't pack them well enough into the pan. OH AND FUN FACT. I used Special K because I had no rice crisp cereal.
Did you know Special K was just weirdly shaped Rice Krispies? Yep. Tis true.
OK that's not a life hack....I know.
PLEASE PLEASE TRY THESE!!!!! Tag me in the photos or use the hashtag #FedMyAddiction -- do what you gotta do, just try them!
Happy Bar Making!