Sometimes changing the shape, colour or texture of something makes the world of difference.
Like miniature food. How wild is that? It may taste worse or better than it's normal sized counterpart but that doesn't even matter because it's CUTE!
There was a little bit of batter left over from my protein bars before I pressed them into the pan, so I rolled it into a little ball and let my mom try it.
Oh how much more fun it was to have little spheres!
So I decided to play it spherical this time, dip instead of drizzle the chocolate, and naturally dip them in walnuts. Naturally.
It took a little extra time...but it was worth it!
Best of all, pick any flavour you like! Now not all of them work with chocolate, but in that case you can just dip them in the frosting instead or omit that step altogether!
(Gluten Free) Protein Bar Recipe Round-Up:
- Lemon Coconut Protein Bar
- Almond Coconut Protein Bar
- Chocolate Turtle Protein Bar
- Carrot Cake Protein Bar
- Chocolate Cranberry Protein Bar
For these, I went with the Chocolate Turtle Protein Bar recipe. It's one of my favourites!
For more on how to do this....
Dark Chocolate Protein Truffles
Yields 12 'truffles'
Allergens: Gluten Free, Contains Nuts
Step 1: Make Protein Bar Recipe
- Instead of pressing into the pan, roll 1-2 tablespoons of batter into balls and place on a freezer sheet to set for 1 hour
Step 2: Melt Chocolate
- Melt dark chocolate in a bain marie (or microwave) and dip your protein truffle half way in, shaking to remove excess chocolate
- Ensure the domed side is coated and the flat side is down (it will be flat from setting this way on your freezer sheet--it creates a naturally easy way to keep your truffles from toppling over!)
- If desired, after dipping truffles in melted chocolate, dip in a shallow bowl of chopped walnuts
Funny story, when I was trying to think of what I should call these--someone suggested 'protein balls'. Then we looked at each other for a long time and I aptly decided to name these 'protein truffles' instead.
And so protein truffles they are! Just a little change makes these seem like so much more fun! Yay for spherical shaped foodstuffs! WAHOO!
That's all I have to say about circular, double-domed, super rounded protein yummys.
If you ever get bored, roll 'em up!