This post is 1 part Bambi frolicking in the forest, 1 part pecan, 3 parts protein and 670 parts delicious.
That breakdown makes absolute perfect sense to me!
If there is one treat, okay TWO treats that my mom really wants me to healthify it's 1) lemon tarts that I always used to make and 2) butter pecan tarts.
Neither of those things are made in this post today -- SORRY MOM! But I *did* try and come up with a healthier alternative to butter pecan tarts in this protein bar version.
These are insanely delicious, addictive and soooo gerrrdddddd.
If you have the chance to try Lorann's line of flavorings that's what I used for the butter flavour -- I really think it's a superior product to the ordinary butter extract you can find. You can of course, omit either of those and just do straight up pecan.
The ground nuts and nut butter add a butteriness to the bars all on their lonesome!
PECANS ARE SO DELICIOUS!
You should definitely put extra of those on top. In your mouth, maybe. All over the place and then dance around in them.
That's both disgusting and a waste.
So absolutely DO NOT do the last one.
These bars come together SUPER quick! And like with all my protein bar recipes you can omit the chocolate or use a considerable amount less and simple drizzle a small amount on top.
If you are going with the lowest possible refined sugar content then just pick a high quality dark chocolate and read the ingredients!
I always thought...Higher the percentage of cocoa solids = lowest sugar. But that's not necessarily true. Sure, SOME of the time it is. But other times that 30% can be made up of pretty much anything! So just read the label ;)
I bet there are chocolate bars with stevia out there, too. I found some stevia sweetened chocolate chips before so I am sure there are whole bars!
Butter Pecan Protein Squares
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder of choice
- 1/2 cup honey, agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/8th teaspoon Lorann Oils Buttery Sweet Dough Emulsion or Wilton's Butter Extract
- 5 -10 drops English Toffee Stevia Drops (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup almond milk* use only if mixture is dry
Chocolate Ganache Layer:
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate of choice (sweetness level of your choice)*
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Mix all dry ingredients (oat flour, protein, pecans, coconut, almond flour) in a large mixing bowl and set aside
- In a small saucepan combine sweetener, butters, extracts and oil until fully combined, if using flavourings or stevia drops add those into this mixture -- set aside when finished
- Pour sweetener/butter mixture over our dry ingredients and stir thoroughly, If your dough is too dry -- add a tablespoon at a time of almond milk or water until you can get a large ball of dough
- Press dough into an 8x8 pan lined with foil or plastic wrap
- Set in fridge for 15 minutes before adding ganache
- To make ganache, melt chocolate in the microwave with the coconut oil -- spread over bars and top with additional pecans, if desired.
- Allow to set in the fridge until chocolate is firm to the touch -- slice into 16 bars and serve!
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for 5-7 days
And that's it. Press it into a pan. Fridge. Chocolate. Fridge. Cut, slice, EAT.
Bring these with you to work, on a road trip, or just carry it around with you on your shoulder like a parrot.
Just making sure you were still paying attention ;)
Fun fact? This recipe was shot MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I totally forgot to post it because life got pretty crazeballs and I am now realizing that life just becomes a tornado of events and craziness over the age of 25. And then it never stops and you're just like oh look I am married and my kids are old AND WHAT IS HAPPENING!
I promise to TRY to post more frequently. I have TWO really really delicious and different recipes to share with you so...stay tuned and keep following me on my Instagram where I *can* actually post semi-frequently...ish.
Happy Protein Barring!