As I said earlier, I am sick. In a disgusting and unfortunate way. But this doesn't stop me from craving and cooking strange (but easy and delicious!) things. From my brain to yours: a gluten free pasta night!
Tonight, gluten free pasta with my newly discovered healthy 'pesto'! Easily made vegan, too :)
Mmmm. Find out how after the jump!
Perfectly Green Rice Pasta Pesto:
You will need:
- 1 bag gluten free rice pasta (or other pasta)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Spices: Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Garlic, other spices you enjoy!
- Tomato Sauce (not needed...and not necessary. I just had a can of organic tomato sauce)
For the 'Pesto'
- 1 cup kale (I used frozen and shredded organic kale...did not measure it. This is an approximation)
- 1/4 carrots, red and yellow peppers (1/4-1/3 cup total)
- Same spices as above: garlic, basil, rosemary, oregano
- Olive oil
- Organic or favourite Mediterranean or Italian dressing
- Bring water to a boil in large pot (enough to completely submerge pasta and then some)
- Add in a pinch of salt and olive oil (optional)
- Pour in pasta and leave uncovered for 15 minutes or until it has cooked to your preference. Drain and set aside.
- For the sauce, I just heated it up on the stove and set it aside.
- PESTO: Steam all of your vegetables. For the kale ensure its chopped finely--if not don't worry about it yet.
- Add in all of your vegetables, spices, tablespoon of olive oil (or to taste), sea salt, and about 4 tablespoons of your dressing into a blender or food processor
- Pulse until your ingredients are combined.
- You should get a thick, delicious 'pesto' that is aromatic and divine! I added pepitas on top. Don't do it...they got soggy and gross!
|Presto westo pesto shish-boom-bah! I am delish. It ain't easy being green homie.|
Serve your pasta with pesto on top and if you'd like (and I did) add some parmesan on top!
This was honestly delicious. So warm and hearty and satisfying! Kale is of course fantastic for you--and I initially planned to eat it steamed. But the texture weirded me out (it was chewy almost) so I decided to blend it...then I started throwing in a bunch of random things and PRESTO PESTO!
|Sans le parmesan!|
I hope someone tries this--it is a great alternative to less healthy sauces and pasta dishes. Also you can make it vegan and dairy free if you omit the cheese! I'd love to try this with avocado instead of olive oil and other types of pasta! I was surprised how creamy it was! I love how kale makes everything so thick! :D