Hello! A break from baking posts this afternoon ( don't worry, lots are coming!). Most people who know me know I actually eat very healthy and love to make healthy food--don't let the cookies fool you. Although baking treats is also just as fun!
Quinoa is a 'buzz word' these days. It's a grain that's actually not a grain at all! It's a seed with higher protein content then other starches like rice or pasta. It is very easy to prepare, has a mild nutty flavour and pairs well with a lot of different spice palates. Today, I share with you my version with kale, organic corn (non-GMO), peas, chickpeas, quinoa, feta cheese garlic and Mediterranean spices and of course, roasted pine nuts.
Keep reading for a recipe and how-to !
Vegetarian Kale and Quinoa Bowl with Roasted Pine Nuts
What You Need:
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice (I used kale, corn and peas)
- 1 can chickpeas, other beans or a portion of protein such as tofu, chicken, etc.
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic spice mix, greek spice mix, whatever you would like!
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons organic dijon mustard
- Boil 2 cups of water in a stove-top pot
- Once boiled, reduce to a simmer, add quinoa, a pinch of salt, and a dash of olive oil.
- Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Take off lid near the end, stir and take off heat.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and set aside to cool.
- Boil or steam your vegetables (or use raw veggies like red peppers, tomatoes, cucumber).
- Drain and set aside.
- Rinse chickpeas, and pour into large bowl.
- Once your quinoa and veggies are cooled, add them to the bowl!
- Now mix your olive oil, mustard, greek yogurt, salt and spices into a dressing and pour onto your quinoa mixture. I added organic Greek dressing to thin it out
- Combine dressing with quinoa mixture.
- Crumble feta cheese on top of quinoa or combine.
- Roast pine nuts on the stove, without oil, stirring quickly until they are lightly brown (this happens fast, as you can see, I burnt mine!
- Serve and enjoy warm or cold!
|Quinoa beginning to soak up water|
|Mixing it all together..|
|Add pine nuts and VOILA!|
Have a great weekend!