Popping by today to share these little bars of heavenly deliciousness! Which ones? These ones:
These bars are inspired by a recipe I saw by Ana Sward here. And they use a similar recipe to my protein bars mentioned here. I used components of Anas but mostly just added to my initial recipe. Told you I couldn't wait to try new flavours! The almond butter and coconut work together SO well here. These are more cakey than the last bars, but very dense, flavourful and not too sweet. They are heaven!
The recipe is no-bake which is always nice. And gluten free! Want to make it vegan? Use agave instead of honey!
Keep reading for the recipe!
Gluten Free Coconut Protein Bars
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup oats, ground into flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- Optional: 3-4 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or chunks to melt and drizzle on top (I used organic 71% dark chocolate chips)
- Line 8x8 pan with aluminum foil
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat almond butter and honey until combined.
- Add butter and honey mixture to dry ingredients, mix until large ball of dough forms
- If mixture is too crumbly to come together, add 1 tablespoon of almond milk at a time until you have a ball of dough
- Press into pan until flat and freeze for 1 hour
- Cut into 8 bars and keep in an airtight container
- Optional step: melt dark chocolate and drizzle on top
And because pictures make life easier:
Now you have beautiful bars ready to go!
Or you can melt chocolate..(here is my chocolate post, too!)
|Melt chocolate chips in a bain marie|
|I did one drizzle and realized I had too much chocolate ...|
|Drizzled DARK chocolate..|
If you are curious, I calculated the protein in these bars:
1/3 cup coconut flour = 19g
1 cup oats= 12 g
Coconut= 1 g
Almond butter= 24
Whey protein = 40
= 12 grams of protein per bar if cut into 8 bars.
** I did not include chocolate or honey due to their lack of protein**
These are a bit drier than the last batch. Not as chewy, but still moist and delicious. Honestly, I prefer these bars to the last batch--they taste AMAZING. Definitely a must try! Works well post-workout...pre-workout...pre-walking...any...time...